Editor’s observe: That is a part of an occasional sequence acquainting followers with the Raiders’ illustrious 60-year historical past because the workforce strikes to Las Vegas for the 2020 season.
In the course of the 1980s, music movies that includes NFL gamers rapping and rocking have been as frequent as skinny neckties and Huey Lewis information. It appeared all people had one.
The Chicago Bears began all of it with the “Super Bowl Shuffle.” The Raiders’ contribution to the style was known as the “Silver and Black Attack.” It peaked at No. 97 in former Evaluate-Journal sports activities author Paul Gutierrez’s 2014 e book known as “100 Things Raiders Fans Should Know & Do Before They Die.”
Listed here are 5 issues to know — er, neglect — concerning the “Silver and Black Attack.”
1. The video was made within the spring of 1986, and 25 gamers and coach Tom Flores have been concerned. 9 Raiders — Howie Lengthy, Marcus Allen, Todd Christensen, Henry Lawrence, Matt Millen, Lester Hayes, Rod Martin, Mike Haynes and Curt Marsh, together with Flores — rapped/recited verse. The remaining simply form of shuffled about on risers.
“I don’t have a disco, but let’s all start dancing.” 🕺 pic.twitter.com/E9A36DiICP
— Las Vegas Raiders (@Raiders) October 6, 2019
2. I believe I noticed Frank Hawkins, the Las Vegas native who starred at Western Excessive College and UNR, twice within the video that has but to be faraway from YouTube for some cause. He’s carrying No. 27 and darkish sun shades. Actor James Garner truly will get extra digicam time than Hawkins.
— Mick Akers (@mickakers) September 8, 2018
3. Of the 2 guys from Brigham Younger featured within the video, I give the sting in rhythm to tight finish Christensen over backup quarterback Marc Wilson. However it’s nearly too near name.
#FlashBackFriday August 28, 1986
— AFL GODFATHER (@NFLMAVERICK) August 28, 2020
4. Three issues that date the video: One of many producers has a haircut nearly equivalent to Ren McCormack’s, Kevin Bacon’s character within the film “Footloose”; defensive deal with Invoice Pickel is proven speaking on a pay telephone; and aside from Christensen’s mustache and a neatly trimmed beard or two, many of the Raiders usually are not sporting facial hair. They appear to be extras from an Andy Williams Christmas particular.
— Dailybreak (@takeaDailybreak) October 30, 2017
5. The chorus goes as follows: “We wear the Silver, we wear the Black, don’t get in our way; We wear the Silver, we wear the Black, you better listen to what we say; We rock the stadium with all our might, this is what we do; We wear the Silver, we wear the Black, we’ll be coming after you.”
However Lengthy will get the final phrase: “If anybody says anything (derogatory) about this after we leave this studio, I’m taking names and kicking (expletive).”
We have to carry these again. Additionally, Howie Lengthy rapping? priceless.
Raiders Silver and Black Assault http://t.co/c98LIzD4Uo
— dana (@DanaMonstah) March 2, 2014
Contact Ron Kantowski at firstname.lastname@example.org or 702-383-0352. Observe @ronkantowski on Twitter.