Liu Yifei stars a Fa Mulan in Disney’s live-action adaptation of “Mulan.”
Disney is making some main adjustments to its launch calendar that embody delaying “Mulan” from its Aug. 21 launch indefinitely and pushing again the debuts of future Star Wars and Avatar motion pictures by a 12 months.
On Thursday, the corporate mentioned that theater closures and manufacturing shutdowns throughout the world coronavirus pandemic brought about it to make quite a lot of changes to its slate.
“Over the previous few months, it is develop into clear that nothing might be set in stone in terms of how we launch movies throughout this world well being disaster, and as we speak which means pausing our launch plans for ‘Mulan’ as we assess how we will most successfully carry this movie to audiences world wide,” a Walt Disney Studios spokesperson mentioned in a press release Thursday.
Disney shares fell barely in after-hours buying and selling and have been down greater than 1%.
“Mulan” is presently listed as unset, which means its launch is delayed indefinitely. That is the fourth time that the live-action movie has been delayed since March.
With “Mulan” vacating its August launch date, there are actually no Hollywood blockbuster releases set for the month. “Tenet” moved out from its August debut on Monday and has but to announce a brand new launch date. AT&T CEO John Stankey has promised movie show house owners that Christopher Nolan’s spy-thriller may have a theatrical launch.
“New Mutants” a 20th Century Fox characteristic within the X-Males franchise that has been delayed for the final three years, seems to nonetheless be on the calendar for Aug. 28, however relying on if film theaters reopen subsequent month, the movie could possibly be pushed once more or be delegated to a video on-demand launch.
Numerous smaller, unbiased options are set for launch in theaters. Nevertheless, main theater chains like AMC will not be open to indicate them. Earlier Thursday, AMC introduced that it has pushed again its reopening plans to mid-August after “Tenet” left the calendar. It’s unclear the way it will react to “Mulan” leaving as nicely.
AMC, like different main movie show chains, has been closed since mid-March, awaiting a slowdown in coronavirus circumstances and new content material from Hollywood. AMC, particularly, had been very vocal about how the pandemic might push it out of business.
Earlier this month, the exhibitor was capable of attain a debt settlement that ought to assist it stay solvent by way of 2021.
Further slate adjustments embody:
- “The Private Historical past of David Copperfield” transferring to Aug. 28
- “Dying on the Nile” is now debuting on Oct. 23
- “The Empty Man” will arrive on Dec. 4
- “The French Dispatch” is unset
- “Antlers” is now dated Feb. 19, 2021
- “The Final Duel” will arrive Oct. 15, 2021
- An untitled Disney Reside Motion movie will take the place of “Avatar 2” on Dec. 16, 2021.
- “Avatar 2” pushed to Dec. 16, 2022
- Untitled Star Wars moved to Dec. 22, 2023
- “Avatar 3” now dated Dec. 20, 2024
- Untitled Star Wars redated to Dec. 19, 2025
- “Avatar 4” will arrive Dec. 18, 2026
- Untitled Star Wars moved to Dec. 17, 2027
- “Avatar 5” now slated for Dec. 22, 2028